Tufts University School of Engineering seeks online MSCS candidates who are independent thinkers, eager to contribute their diverse perspectives and aspiring to evolve in their careers.
Our admissions committee takes a holistic approach to reviewing applications and considers both an applicant’s academic history and work experience.
How to Apply
All online Master of Science in Computer Science applicants are required to submit the following:
The application fee is waived for: current Tufts undergraduate and graduate students; students in Tufts certificate programs applying to a degree program; Tufts degree program alumni; current seniors or alumni of Lafayette College, Olin College, Union College, Smith College, Wellesley College; AmeriCorps and Peace Corps volunteers and alumni; City Year and Teach For America Corp members and alumni; currently applying GEM fellows; current Institute for the Recruitment of Teachers (IRT) fellows; current Leadership Alliance Members; current McNair Scholars.
Applicants will be required to upload a copy of transcripts received from each educational institution attended where credit was earned toward an undergraduate, graduate, or professional degree.
Transcripts for study abroad or transfer programs are not required if the course titles, grades, and credit hours are included on the transcript of the degree-granting institution. If the transcript is in a language other than English, an official translation must be provided.
Applicants can upload unofficial transcripts on the Academic History page of the application. If you have trouble uploading the unofficial transcripts, you can email them to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants who are offered admission to the online MS in Computer Science program will need to have official, sealed transcripts from all degree-granting institutions sent to the mailing address shown below.
2 The Green
Medford, MA 02155
Applicants may have official e-transcripts emailed to email@example.com.
Three letters of recommendation are required. Current Tufts undergraduate, graduate, and certificate students; alumni of Tufts degree programs; and alumni of Bridge partner schools are only required to submit two letters. Bridge partner schools include Lafayette College, Olin College, Smith College, Union College, and Wellesley College.
Recommendation letters should be written, on official letterhead or containing a written signature, by someone who can provide a candid and honest assessment of the applicant’s academic background or professional work experience and convey their abilities and character.
Applicants are required to write a personal statement which details their reasons for wanting to pursue their Master of Science in Computer Science online at Tufts. The personal statement should be limited to five pages (2,500 words).
A résumé or CV must be provided. Please include dates and overview of academic history, employment, academic honors, scholarships, publications, community involvement, volunteering, internships, and other activities.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores from an exam taken within the past five years are required from all applicants. The GRE requirement is waived if you:
- Are currently enrolled in a Tufts undergraduate program
- Are a Tufts degree program alumni
- Have five or more years of professional work experience with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.2/4.0 or greater or the equivalent from an accredited or recognized engineering or computer science program, and be applying for part-time enrollment
- Are a Bridge Partner school current student or alumni
- Are a U.S. citizen or documented U.S. resident student enrolled in a Tufts School of Engineering certificate program with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.7/4.0 or greater
You can register for the GRE online. Use Tufts University’s code number: 3901. Student copies or photocopies of GRE scores are not accepted, so please remember to designate Tufts as one of your score recipients. To ensure timely score reporting, we suggest that you take the GRE at least one month prior to the application deadline.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have decided to temporarily waive the GRE requirement for online MS in Computer Science candidates applying for the Fall 2020 term. The waiver applies to candidates with an undergraduate degree from an accredited US institution.
Applicants who are non-native English speakers are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
You can register for the TOEFL online. Use Tufts University code: 3901. Student copies or photocopies of TOEFL/IELTS scores are not accepted.
Applicants who satisfy one or more of the following conditions are not required to provide a TOEFL/IELTS score:
- Have citizenship in Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand, Guyana, an Anglophone country of Africa, or an English-speaking country of the Caribbean
- Earned a college or university degree in the U.S. or in one of the countries listed above, prior to submission of the Tufts online MSCS application
- Are currently enrolled as a full-time student in a U.S. degree-granting program or at an English-speaking school in one of the countries listed above. Applicants must have successfully completed two consecutive full-time academic years of college or university work prior to the date of anticipated enrollment in the Tufts online MSCS program.
Ready to Take the Next Step?
For more information about the online MS in Computer Science program, please complete the form below.
By providing my information and clicking the submit button, I agree to be contacted via email, phone or text to learn more about the online MSCS program.